Enter the magical world of the ‘Shire’ and Middle Earth on a Lord of the Rings tour of Hobbiton. The beautiful landscape makes it the perfect setting for a surreal world.
If you’re the person who quotes Fight Club in casual conversation and shares “One does not simply (walk into Mordor)” memes, dreams about visiting Middle Earth and studying at Hogwarts, then you should definitely have a bucket list of movie locations to visit.
Our top 10 recommendations on movie tours for the avid cinephile –
- Los Angeles – The home of Hollywood has to be top of the charts. LA may be a multiethnic sprawl with state-of-the-art entertainment facilities downtown, Bohemian culture in Venice Beach area and a multitude of artists, poets, writers and musicians in the suburbs, but there’s bits of movie magic all around. This City of Angels is difficult to navigate for tourists, so you can take the Hollywood Movie Location Tour ( – 11 reviews) to experience first-hand the city’s deeply rooted cinematic culture, showcasing the best movies – Sunset Boulevard, Chinatown, L.A. Confidential, Back to the Future, Pretty Woman, Grease, The Aviator and Terminator, to name a few.
Alternately, you could try the Hollywood – Behind the Scenes Walking Tour ( – 13 reviews) to discover landmarks such as the Walk of Fame, Blossom Room – site of the first Oscars, Grauman’s Egyptian Theatre and many more.
- New Zealand – With breathtaking landscapes, from towering mountain peaks and glaciers to volcanoes, bubbling mud springs, lush green fields and rolling hills, New Zealand was the obvious choice for Middle Earth and the Shire in Lord of the Rings. Join a Small-Group Tour: The Lord of the Rings Hobbiton Movie Set Tour from Auckland ( – 42 reviews), see the Green Dragon Inn, Bilbo Baggins’ house and lunch at The Shire’s Rest Cafe. Alternately, from Rotorua you can visit Hobbiton as part of the ‘Lord of the Rings’ Hobbiton Movie Set Tour ( – 20 reviews), or pass by the Ithilien Camp, Isengard, Forest of Amon Hen and Lothlorien with the Glenorchy Movie Locations Tour: The Lord of the Rings ( – 12 reviews) from Queenstown.
- Hawaii – Hawaii’s dramatic landscapes have been the setting of countless movies based in a different world, such as Jurassic Park, Godzilla, Pirates of the Caribbean and the Lost series. The Kauai Movie Sites Tour ( – 14 reviews) through sparkling turquoise bays, white sandy beaches along the Pacific, lush forests and plunging waterfalls highlights the movie locations on the Kauai island, with lunch at Tahiti Nui where The Descendants was filmed. If you’re on Oahu, take the Small-Group Oahu TV and Movie Locations Hummer Tour ( – 48 reviews) to see where Karate Kid II, 50 First Dates, Pearl Harbour and Lost were filmed.
- London – This is your chance as a muggle to discover the world of magic, from Diagon Alley to the Leaky Cauldron, by a black taxi Private Tour: Harry Potter Black Taxi Tour of London ( – 132 reviews). 007 fans, find out more about your favorite MI6 agent as you go around Central London with the James Bond Film Location Tour ( – 2 reviews).
- Paris – Synonymous with art and home to poets and philosophers, Paris has been the subject of numerous movies that have tried to capture the artistic free-thinking spirit of the City of Romance. Join an expert guide on a cinematic exploration of the quaint neighbourhood of Montmarte, the setting of Amelie, Moulin Rouge and Midnight in Paris, with the sublime Sacre Coeur Basilica in the background as part of the Paris Movie Tour of Montmarte. For a coach tour through locations of 50 major movies and TV series such as The Da Vinci Code, The Bourne Identity, Ratatouille, Taken and James Bond, hop onto the Paris Movie and TV Locations Tour.
- Barcelona – A vibrant city famous for its architecture, Barcelona is also the perfect destination to unwind. Discover Barcelona like Vicky and Cristina with the Barcelona Movie Locations Walking Tour, ending at the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Palau de la Música Catalana.
- New York – The quintessentially cosmopolitan way of life in NYC has inspired several film and TV series writers to use the Big Apple as the setting for their scripts. Let a local actor guide you around Manhattan as part of your New York TV and Movie Sites Tour ( – 298 reviews), showing you the the locations from Spider Man, Woody Allen’s Manhattan, I am Legend, Friends, Ugly Betty and others. Central Park, considered NYC’s lungs, where you can stroll along its leafy boulevards and paddle in ponds is the site of several scenes from movies such as Serendipity, When Harry met Sally and The Avengers, which you can discover during the Central Park Movie Sites Walking Tour
- Chicago – The Windy City is the heart and soul of America’s Midwest, with one of the most recognizable skylines in the US comprising landmarks of American architecture such as the Sears Tower. See sites of movies such as My Best Friend’s Wedding, The Untouchables and Transformers 3, and get a whiff of the history of the city’s famous neighbourhoods such as Gold Coast, Old Town and Lincoln Park as part of the Chicago Film Tour ( – 21 reviews).
- Austria – Watch the hills come alive with the Sound of Music in Salzburg, the birthplace of Mozart, with The Original Sound of Music Tour ( – 866 reviews) through Mirabell Gardens, Hellbrunn Castle, Nonnberg Abbey – the oldest convent in German-speaking Europe, and Mondsee Cathedral. Discover Vienna In the Footsteps of ‘The Third Man’ ( – 14 reviews) through the places where Harry Lime lived, via the Old Town, along the Danube Canal and imagine the Vienna of post World War II times.
- Mumbai – The list would remain incomplete without a mention of Bollywood, its musicals, rom-coms and suspension of reality. For an intense Bollywood experience, spend almost an entire day with the Bollywood Studio Tour of Mumbai, understanding the history of Indian cinema, touring the Film City where you can see live shoots, and end your day by watching a movie at Eros, a cozy theatre in South Mumbai. For a casual introduction, just stroll along the Walk of the Stars, ride a rickshaw past celebrity homes and watch a typical Bollywood film at a local theater.