Wooden Churches of Maramures

The eight tranquil wooden churches of Maramureş, Romania constitute a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Set in an ethereal landscape in the midst of peace and quiet, the beautiful wooden monastery with Gothic and Byzantine elements is the tallest wooden building in Europe. The complex houses a museum on the culture and history of the region.

The manually carved Church of the Presentation of the Virgin at the Temple in Bârsana, built in 1720, is surrounded by beautiful blossoms in summer.

The Church of Saint Nicholas at Budeşti is older, built in 1643 on the site of a 15th-century church. The Church of the Holy Paraskeva built in 1770, the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin which replaced the one destroyed by the Tatars in 1717, the Church of the Holy Archangels at Plopiş, the Church of the Holy Parasceve at Poienile Izei, the Churches of the Holy Archangels at Rogoz and Şurdeşti make up the remaining of the World Heritage Site.